1/3 cup sugar
1.5 cups water
2-3 pandan leaves/screwpine leaves
(kak rose tambah few slices halia dalam sirap ni as per cook's suggestion)
2 cups glutinous rice (sticky rice) flour
1 Tbsp fine sugar
7 oz water
food coloring ( 2-3 different colors ) (kak rose guna 4 colors)
- To prepare syrup, boil water in a pot. Add the screwpine pleaves and let it boil on medium fire for 5 minutes. Add sugar and let it boil for 5 minutes. Lower fire and let it simmer to another 15 miuntes. Sugar can be added to taste if you like. Set aside.
- In a big bowl, mix glutinous flour with sugar.
- Add water and knead to form a paste. Continue to knead until it form a soft dough and no longer sticks to your hands.
- Divide into 3-4 portion and add 2-3 drops of food coloring to the each portion of dough.
- Divide into small balls and lightly shape into balls using both palms.
- Set aside a few hours or overnight as this will make the dough a bit harder and easier to handle. (kak rose x simpan pun, pas bancuh tu terus jer bulat2kan)
- Boil another pot of water, drop the dumplings into the boiling water. As soon as it floats to the transfer it to the syrup water.
- Serve. (kak rose sejukkan dalam fridge dulu baru serve... best makan sejuk2...)
You can add a few slices ginger to the syrup water if you like. Or you can replace the fine sugar with palm sugar or brown sugar using same method.